Indigenous antimicrobial product
to protect front-line health workers and stop the transmission of COVID-19
Ruhvenile has been extensively screening small organic compounds to identify non-toxic, non-ionic compounds with validated enveloped-viruses deactivation potential. One potent non-toxic, carbohydrate-based compound has been shown to deactivate different viruses, including Bovine viral diarrheal virus (BVD), Pseudorabies virus (PRV), and Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus, both in buffer and protein solutions, at different temperatures, with maximum 0.018% (w/v) concentration.
In preliminary tests, RUV-219, an indigenous compound displays excellent antiviral activity against enveloped virus, with complete disinfection after 10 minutes of treatment, even at 4 °C.
Based on the proven, broad-spectrum applicability of our lead compound, and the structural similarity between SARS-CoV-2, and known enveloped viruses. We foresee that RUV-219 may prove effective to sanitize SARS-CoV-2-coated surfaces. In particular, RUV-219 was successfully tested against:
- Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus(XMulV) belonging to the gamma retrovirus family; the virus is called “xenotropic,” XMulV has a dimer genomic RNA, which is surrounded by a capsid.
- Pseudorabies virus (PRV) is an enveloped, double-stranded DNA virus belonging to the Herpesviridae family.
- Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus 1: Members of this family are enveloped, positive-stranded RNA viruses that share similarities in replication and genome organization.
” RUV-219, an indigenous compound, displays excellent antiviral activity against enveloped virus, with complete disinfection after 10 minutes of treatment, even at 4 °C.”
Potential Applications of RUV-219 to combat COVID 19 pandemic:
- Deactivation of large loads of the enveloped viruses, thus containing their spread.
- Potential activity shows that the compound also effectively promotes COVID-19 structural disassembly.
- Both in aqueous and organic solutions, RUV-219 can be used to sanitize contaminated surfaces, including ICUs, hospitals, public areas, and transport systems.
- In addition, RUV-219 can be used as a universal antiviral coating to produce anti-COVID-19 Triple Layer Medical masks and N-95 respirators or to enhance the protection of available masks and Personal Protective Equipment.
- Application in hand sanitizers and also in the pharmaceutical industry to ensure virus sterilization.
- Of note, the primary applicability of RUV-219 focuses on protein-based therapeutics and/or “any solution”-based therapeutics.
- Further applications include the straightforward one-step coating of daily life, medical devices, and materials, such as textiles, plastic, PVC, polyurethane, and polystyrene.